Red Wine Abadal 3.9 2015

Reserve red wine from Pla de Bages. Cabernet Sauvignon & Syrah aged for 12 months in oak barrels and for 12 months in the bottle.
Reserva. 12 Months in French and American oak barrels
Percentage of Alcohol: 14º
Bottle size: 75 cl
D.O.: Pla de Bages
Grapes Varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah,
Wineries: Bodegas Abadal
93 93

Availability: In stock

Product Description

Located right in the heart of Catalonia, the Pla de Bages DO is a long-forgotten, re-emerging wine region that in the late years has produced increasingly interesting wines thanks to the sustained work of wineries such as Bodegas Abadal, the producer of this Spanish red wine.

Made from a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% SyrahAbadal 3.9 is a single estate wine coming from a very special vineyard, surrounded by dense forests and  red clay soils which give the wine a particular character.

The grapes were harvested by hand and went through two selection processes, one in the vineyard and the other one in the cellar. Vinified separately, both musts fermented and were macerated with the solid cap of skins to extract colour and aromas.

The ageing process was complex, as it was carried out in six different types of wooden barrels which, in turn, had three different toast levels. 70% of them were French oak barrels, while the remaining 30% were American oak barrels. Aged for 12 months, Abadal 3.9 2015 was finally blended and aged for a further 12 months in the cellar before its release.

We recommend that you decant this reserve red wine wine 1 hour before you drink it.

Properly stored, this red wine from Pla de Bages will improve in the bottle over the next 5-7 years.

Additional Information
Additional Information

The red wine Abadal 3.9 has a bright, intense, high garnet robe with violet tinges and a crimson rim.


Fresh balsamic notes, with prominent aromas of eucalyptus, liquorice and aromatic herbs that give way to some toasted and smoky hints. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon & Syrah also suggests aromas of plums and blackberries, intertwined with lactic remembrances, a touch of green bell pepper and notes of violets.


Elegant and meaty, this red wine by Abadal a velvety texture and a well-defined structure. Notes of black fruit, a touch of kirsch, spices and toast outline a dignified profile. Remembrances of roasted peppers and a fresh mineral background are sustained by a crisp acidity and some crunchy tannins.  A wine from Pla de Bages with a long, fruity finish.

Our personal opinion

Very elegant and a bit restrained, more Atlantic than Mediterranean, Abadal 3.9 2015 is not your ordinary Catalan wine.


Abadal 3.9 2012

Enterwine 93. Peñín 92.

Abadal 3.9 2010:

Parker 86. Peñín 91.

Abadal 3.9 2009:

Parker 89. Peñín 91.

Year 2015
Type Red
D.O. Pla del Bages
Bottle size 75 cl
Serving tempurature 16-18ºC
Should this wine be decanted? 30 minutes before serving
Ageing Reserva
Type of ageing Months in French and American oak barrels
Number of months aged in Barrels 12
Enterwine's Score 93
Media rating 93
Name of Award Certamen CWSA, China Wine and Spirits Awards 2018: Medalla de Oro
Percentage of variety Cabernet Sauvignon 85%, Syrah 15%.
Pairings Birds, Civet, Cured cheeses, Duck, Game animals, Red meat with gravy, Roasted lamb, Roasted red meats, Specialty Spanish prosciutto , Stews, Stuffed Chicken, Vegetables, White meat with gravy
Taste Complex and Elegant, Very intense and inky
Occasion A special occasion, Because you deserve it, To bring to an engagement
1 Review
A very serious wine. Profound and authentic.
Review by (Posted on 25 July 2018)
Write a review
    1 1 star
    2 2 star
    3 3 star
    4 4 star
    5 5 star