Red Wine Abadal 3.9 2018

Reserva red wine from Pla de Bages. Varietal Cabernet Sauvignon aged for 12 months in oak barrels and for 12 months in the bottle.
Reserva. 12 Months in French and American oak barrels
Percentage of Alcohol: 14.5º
Bottle size: 75 cl
D.O.: Pla de Bages
Grapes Varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon,
Wineries: Bodegas Abadal
ñ 91 93 92

Availability: In stock

Regular Price: €23.90

Special Price €20.90

Product Description

Located in the heart of Catalonia, DO Pla de Bages is a long-forgotten and currently re-emerging wine region that in the late years has produced increasingly interesting wines thanks to the sustained work of wineries such as Bodegas Abadal, the producer of this Spanish red wine.

A varietal Cabernet SauvignonAbadal 3.9 is a single parcel wine coming from a site with special characteristics. Surrounded by dense forests, the vineyard has red clay soils which give the wine a particular character.

The grapes were harvested by hand and went through two selection processes, one in the vineyard and the other one in the cellar. Then the wine must was fermented and were macerated with the solid cap of skins to extract colour and aromas.

The ageing process of this red wine from Pla de Bages was complex, as it was carried out in six different types of wooden barrels which, in turn, had three different toast levels. 70% of them were French oak barrels, while the remaining 30% were American oak barrels.

Aged for 12 months, Abadal 3.9 2018 was bottled and aged for a further 12 months in the cellar before its release.

We recommend that you decant this reserva red wine wine 1 hour before you drink it.

Additional Information
Additional Information

The red wine Abadal 3.9 is medium purple with violet reflections and a crimson rim.


Fresh balsamic notes, with prominent aromas of eucalyptus, liquorice and aromatic herbs that give way to some toasted and smoky hints. This varietal Cabernet Sauvignon also suggests aromas of plums and blackberries, intertwined with lactic remembrances, a touch of green bell pepper and notes of violets.


Elegant and meaty, this red wine of Bodegas Abadal has a velvety texture and a well-defined structure. Notes of black fruit, a touch of kirsch, spices and toast outline a dignified profile. Remembrances of roasted peppers and a fresh mineral background are sustained by a crisp acidity and some crunchy tannins.  Long, fruity finish.

Our personal opinion

Very elegant and a bit restrained, more Atlantic than Mediterranean, Abadal 3.9 2018 is one of the best Cab. Sauvignon wines produced in Spain.


Abadal 3.9 2017:

Enterwine 93. Guía Peñin 91.

Abadal 3.9 2016:

Enterwine 93. Peñín 91. ABC Guía Vino 2020 95.

Abadal 3.9 2012

Enterwine 93. Peñín 92.

Abadal 3.9 2010:

Parker 86. Peñín 91.

Abadal 3.9 2009:

Parker 89. Peñín 91.

Year 2018
Type Red
D.O. Pla del Bages
Bottle size 75 cl
Serving tempurature 16-18ºC
Should this wine be decanted? 30 minutes before serving
Ageing Reserva
Type of ageing Months in French and American oak barrels
Number of months aged in Barrels 12
Peñin Score 91
Enterwine's Score 93
Media rating 92
Mono-Varietal Cabernet Sauvignon
Pairings Birds, Civet, Cured cheeses, Duck, Game animals, Red meat with gravy, Roasted lamb, Roasted red meats, Specialty Spanish prosciutto , Stews, Stuffed Chicken, Vegetables, White meat with gravy
Taste Complex and Elegant, Very intense and inky
Occasion A special occasion, Because you deserve it, To bring to an engagement
1 Review
A very serious wine. Profound and authentic.
Review by (Posted on 25 July 2018)
Write a review
    1 1 star
    2 2 star
    3 3 star
    4 4 star
    5 5 star