A perfect St. Valentine's Day
A PERFECT ST. VALENTINE'S DAY!
The perfect night... or not?
Well, let's see. What you need is one partner (at least), a romantic state of mind and a sexy, preferably homemade dinner. From there on, you know, one just have to let things happen...
Of course, wine is a key element of a successful Valentine's day.
So, here are our suggestions for a perfect soiree.
1) For romantic lovers. La Rosa 2014 de Raventos i Blanc is an original rosé wine from Penedés that pairs wonderfully with shrimp -you know, that most aphrodisiac of foods... The wine has a rosy colour with some orange tinges. On the nose, it shows notes of citrus and strawberry. The palate is delicate, with loads of ripe white fruit, a silky texture and an evocative finish.
2) For hipsters. Forget sushi! Ceviche and Gourmet Burgers are now two of the coolest trends in Planet Foodie. For this long-bearded dinner, we suggest Lapola 2012, a white wine from Ribeira Sacra crafted by the Dominio de Bibei winery. Straw-yellow coloured with some steely tinges, on the nose it displays aromas of ripe grapefruit, citrus, cucumber, butter and greengage plums. On the mouth the wine is velvety, with tense acidity, remarkable freshness, a perfect integration of the wood and a long ending.
3) For the wild ones. Red is the colour, and red is the wine. Cachito Mío 2013, produced by Vinos y viñedos Casa Maguila in the northern Spanish region of Toro smells of exotic spices, balsam and blue flowers.It has a great acidity, a firm body that fills the mouth and a delicious finish.
4) For the tender ones. Habla del Silencio… 2013 is a confidential red wine from Extremadura produced by Bodegas Habla. The wine has a high red-coloured robe and displays notes of black fruit, balsam and spices. Seductive on the palate, with some lactic touches, notions of menthol, liquorice and wild berries. Smooth, long finish with some exotic remembrances of Eastern spices.
5) For cheerful lovers. A organic sparkling wine, of course. Marta Joia 2011, by the Penedès-based Canals y Canals winery, is a delightful Cava that has a bright, straw-yellow colour and exhibits aromas of pastry, vanilla, withered flowers, citrus and white fruit. On the palate, this Catalan Cava is smooth and velvety. Ripe white fruit, some buttery notes, dry fruit and an unctuous body. Complex and rewarding.
6) For the naughty ones. Don Px 2010, by Toro Albalá is a great sweet wine that possesses an hipnotic iodine yellow colour with some mahogany tinges and amber glints. It has a spectacular nose: dried apricots, raisins, orange rind, clove, aniseed, cinnamon and nutmeg. The mouth is opulent. Flavours of honey, caramelized sugar, chocolate, coffee and spices. Extremely long finish.
Six wines to make your Valentine's day unforgettable.