eco

Red Wine Dido La Universal 2019

Organic red wine from Montsant. Grenache, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon aged for 9 months in concrete vats, oak barrels and clay amphorae.
Crianza. 16 Months in distinct containers
Percentage of Alcohol: 14º
Bottle size: 75 cl
D.O.: Montsant
Wineries: Venus La Universal
93 93

Availability: In stock

€13.50
Product Description
Details

This the new vintage of Dido La Universal, produced by Venus La Universal. Headed by Sara Pérez and René Barbier, the winery has 10 hectares of vineyards near Falset, within the DO Montsant.

As usual, the Grenache is the backbone of this Spanish red wine, complemented with tiny amounts of Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The grapevines grow in soils composed of sauló, a type of sand of granitic origin.

The grapes were brought to the cellar, cold-soaked and fermented in concrete vats. Then, in order to preserve the exceptional qualities of the fruit, 40% of this red wine from Montsant was aged for 9 months in concrete vats, while the remaining 60% was aged in barrels of different sizes (from 300 to 4,000 litres) and in clay amphorae.

Aerate Dido la Universal 2018 30 minutes before drinking.

Additional Information
Additional Information
Appearance

The organic red wine Dido La Universal from Montsant has an intense crimson colour with some ruby tinges and a garnet rim,

Nose

An ode to freshness, this red wine by Sara Pérez and René Barbier Jr. suggests juicy notes of cranberries, raspberries and blackberries, hints of dry herbs, spices and flowers, and some touches of Mediterranean undergrowth. We also perceive some distant mineral remembrances. 

Palate

Tense, fresh and young, this wine by Venus La Universal carries lots of wild berries and dry herbs over a mineral background, some watery touches, and ripe, delicious tannins. This Crianza red wine from Montsant has a crisp acidity and a medium finish with, again, a mineral aftertaste. Pure and very honest.

Our personal opinion

Fresher and crispier than ever, Dido La Universal 2018 is an unguilty plesaure.

OTHER VINTAGES

Dido La Universal 2017:

Enterwine 92. Parker 93+. Peñín 92.

Dido La Universal 2016:

Aged for 16 months. Enterwine 92. Parker 93. Peñín 91.

Dido La Universal 2015:

Enterwine 93. Peñín 92.

Dido La Universal 2014:

Parker 92. Peñín 93.

Dido La Universal 2013:

Parker 93 and Peñín 93.

Year 2019
Type Red
D.O. Montsant
Bottle size 75 cl
Serving tempurature 15-17ºC
Should this wine be decanted? 30 minutes before serving
Organic Yes
Ageing Crianza
Type of ageing Months in distinct containers
Number of months aged in Barrels 16
Enterwine's Score 93
Media rating 93
Percentage of variety Garnacha Tinta 60%, Syrah 20%, Cariñena-Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon 20%.
Pairings Aperitif, Bull meat, Chocolate, Cold meats, Duck, Grilled vegitables, Mushrooms, Paté, Pica Pica, Roasted red meats, semi-curred cheese, Smoked foods, Specialty Spanish prosciutto , Steak Tartare, Stew
Taste Complex and Elegant, Fruity and Fresh, Tasty with barrel notes
Occasion Aperitif, Appetizer, Business dinner, Dinner with friends, Family reunion
Reviews
3 Reviews
dido
Value
Flirting with the so-called "natural wine" approach, it has much more precision and definition. Excellent wine.
Review by (Posted on 6 March 2019)
ooh
Value
Montsant in a bottle. Excellent wine!!
Review by (Posted on 11 April 2018)
red wine universal
Value
This is the younger sibling of the impressive Venus. I have the impression that the winemakers have been increasingly embracing the "less is more" philosophy over the last years, because the wine seems more immediate, pure and straightforward every year. Difficult to find something better for this price.
Review by (Posted on 29 October 2017)
Write a review
  •  
    1 1 star
    2 2 star
    3 3 star
    4 4 star
    5 5 star
    Value