Red Wine Octonia 2013

Red wine from Montsant. Blend of Grenache, Hairy Grenache and Samsó (Carignan) aged for 24 months in French oak barrels.
Crianza. 24 Months in distinct containers
Percentage of Alcohol: 15º
Bottle size: 75 cl
D.O.: Montsant
Grapes Varieties: Grenache Peluda, Grenache Red, Samsó,
Wineries: Serra i Barceló
93 93

Availability: In stock

Product Description

This is an under-the-radar, totally indigenous, top-notch Spanish red wine from DO Montsant.

Made from Grenache, Hairy Grenache and Samsó (Carignan), Octonia was crafted by Josep Serra, head winemaker of the Serra i Barceló winery.

The grapes are sorted from two vineyards planted in 1940 at altitudes between 350 and 500 metres. Soils are composed of sand, clay and limestone.

Hand-harvested and meticulously selected, the grapes were gently destemmed before being separately fermented and macerated in 400-litre French oak barrels.

After completing alcoholic and malolactic fermentation, Octonia 2013 went through a meticulous ageing process: 55% of the wine remained in the barrels, where it was aged for 24 months, and the other 45% was kept in terracotta amphorae and concrete diposits for the same amount of time.

Clarified with egg whites before its bottling in September 2016, this red wine from Montsant was aged for some years in the cellar before hitting the market.

Decant 1 hour before drinking.

5,080 bottles produced.

Additional Information
Additional Information

The red wine Octonia is pale purple with a ruby rim and some bluish tinges.


This blend of Grenache, Hairy Grenache and Samsó is complex, nuanced and terroir-driven. Bramble, cranberries and wild violets, with some balsamic remembrances, a layer of Mediterranean garrigue, and some flecks of graphite, black truffles and charcoal. In the background, faraway suggestions of toast, smoke and tobacco leaves.


Smooth and medium-bodied, with a lively character and a remarkable complexity. This wine from bodega Serra i Barceló has a velvety texture, nuanced and richly layered, with a gentle, uplifting tartness, and some mellow tannins. Suggestions of wild berries, mineral undertones, undergrowth and flowers. Long, complex finish.

Our personal opinion The little-known and scarce Octonia 2013 showcases the most intriguing side of Mediterranean wine.


Octonia 2012:

Enterwine 93. Guía Peñín 91.

Octonia 2010:

Enterwine 93. Parker 90.

Octonia 2009:

Peñín 91.

Year 2013
Type Red
D.O. Montsant
Bottle size 75 cl
Serving tempurature 15-17ºC
Should this wine be decanted? One hour before serving
Ageing Crianza
Type of ageing Months in distinct containers
Number of months aged in Barrels 24
Enterwine's Score 93
Media rating 93
Percentage of variety Garnacha Tinta 50%, Garnacha Peluda 38%, Samsó 12%.
Pairings Bull meat, Civet, Cold meats, Duck, Poultry, Roasted foods, Rosted piglet, Steak Tartare, Stews
Taste Complex and Elegant, Tasty with barrel notes
Occasion A special occasion, Business dinner, Dinner with friends, Family reunion
0 Reviews
Write a review
    1 1 star
    2 2 star
    3 3 star
    4 4 star
    5 5 star