Plana d'en Jan

Plana d'en Jan

This small-batch winery from Penedès specializes in producing microvinifications of excepcional plotsdel Penedés.

Located in the Mas d'en Benet estate, Pacs del Penedès, in the heart of DO Penedès, Plana d'en Jan is an artisan winery focused on producing small-batch wines from singular vineyards through minimal intervention techniques. The winery, one of the smallest in Penedès, crafts still wines, Clàssic Penedès sparkling wines and Pét-Nat sparklers.

Founded in 2017, the origins of bodega Plana d'en Jan go back to the year 1895, when Joan Marrugat Martí, the great-grandfather of Joan Marrugat, funder and current owner, bought the Mas d'en Benet estate with the idea of producing his own wine. Nowadays, the winery sells about 90% of its total grape production to several big names in Penedès. The other 10%, sourced from the best estate vineyards, is used for producing the Plana d'en Jan wines.

Located in an area with a purely Mediterranean climate, the estate vineyards of the Plana d'en Jan winery are planted with the white varieties Xarel·lo, Xarel·lo Vermell, Macabeo, White GrenacheMalvasia and Chardonnay. The red varieties are Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Ull de Llebre (aka Tempranillo) and Monastrell.

As regards winemaking, the wines from Penedès of bodega Plana d'en Jan are produced combining the use of modern technology – stainlesss teel tanks, concrete diposits, clay amphorae... - with the traditional machinery inherited from the family ancestors, like chestnut oak barrels and tiled diposits.

As of today, the Plana d'en Jan winery crafts over 10 different wines, from still reds and whites to traditional and ancestral method sparkling wines. It is worth noting that, against the market trends prevailing in Spain, the red wines of Plana d'en Jan are produced from Bordeaux varieties.

  • Year of foundation: 2017
  • Address: Mas d’en Benet s/n
  • City: Pacs del Penedès
  • Province: Barcelona
  • Zip code: 08796
  • Country: Spain
  • Phone number: 34 620 239 135
  • Guided visits? Yes
  • Wine tourism services?  Yes

Designation of origin:

Penedès, Clàssic Penedès

Red wine varieties:

Grenache, Cabernet SauvignonMerlot, Ull de Llebre, Monastrell.

White wine varieties:

Xarel·lo, Xarel·lo Vermell, Macabeo, White Grenache, Malvasía, Chardonnay.